Preheat oven to 450 F. Season steak with salt and pepper. In an ovenproof (preferably cast-iron) skillet, sear steak over high heat for 2 minutes a side. Pop into the oven and roast for 12 to 20 minutes, turning once depending on how rare you want it and how thick it is.
What temperature do you cook a porterhouse steak?
A beautiful porterhouse like this really is best cooked to medium rare, 130–134°F (55–57°C) final temperature, but you can cook it more to medium (135-145°F [57-63°C]) according to your individual taste.
How long should I cook my porterhouse steak in the oven?
How to Cook Porterhouse Steak in the Oven
- Be sure your steak is completely thawed.
- Bring the meat to room temperature. …
- For the perfect medium-rare steak, broil in the oven for 13-15 minutes for a 1-inch steak, and 16-18 minutes for a 1½ inch steak, turning about 1 minute before the halfway point.
What is the best temperature to cook a steak in the oven?
For thicker cuts of steak (like ribeye or filet mignon), 450° is your magic number. For thinner steaks, like flank and skirt, you’re better off just using the broiler. If you’re using a skillet, get it HOT.
How long do you cook a steak in the oven at 350?
Do not let the meat sit on the hot surface for more than a few seconds. Immediately place the steaks into a shallow baking dish with a cup of wine. Bake in the oven for 7-10 minutes (7 for rare, 10 for medium rare) Remove and flip the steaks. Return them to the oven for another 7-10 minutes on 350.
How long do you cook a steak in the oven at 400?
Oven: Sear both sides of a 1-inch steak until well browned then finish the ribeye steak in the oven for about 5-7 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for a medium-well steak.
How long does it takes to cook a steak in the oven?
Choose a steak with a minimum one-inch thickness.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Season the steaks on both sides with sea salt and fresh-cracked black pepper.
- Place steak on a rack placed over a rimmed baking sheet and put in the preheated oven.
- Cook the steaks in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
How do I cook a porterhouse steak well done?
Cook a 2cm-thick piece of steak for 2-3 minutes each side for rare, 4 minutes each side for medium, and 5-6 minutes each side for well-done. Turn the steak only once, otherwise it will dry out. Always use tongs to handle steak as they won’t pierce the meat, allowing the juices to escape.
What temperature should steak be?
The USDA recommends steaks and roasts be cooked to 145°F (medium) and then rested for at least 3 minutes. To ensure food safety, ground beef should be cooked to a minimum 160°F (well done).
What are the steak temps?
- Rare (125°-130°F) A steak cooked to “rare” is very different than a “raw”. …
- Medium Rare (130°-140°F) A “medium rare” steak will be warm in the center. …
- Medium (140°-150°F) A steak cooked “medium” will be mostly pink. …
- Medium Well (150°-160°F) …
- Well (Over 160°F)
How do you cook a steak in the oven without searing it?
Season the steak with oil and spices, making sure to rub it in. Place the steak on the sheet and set it at 4 inches below the heating element in the broiler. Cook the steak for 6 minutes and flip it over. Cook for another 6 minutes and check for doneness temperature.
Is steak better in the oven or pan?
While you typically wouldn’t use an oven to cook steak, Rizzo said the oven can be used if the cut of meat is on the thicker side. … “Steak can be cooked on the stovetop in a heavy bottomed skillet (or on the grill) just be sure not to overload the pan or you won’t get a good sear on the meat.
How long do you cook a medium rare steak?
Rare: 1½ mins per side. Medium rare: 2 mins per side. Medium: About 2¼ mins per side. Well-done steak: Cook for about 4-5 mins each side, depending on thickness.