10. Calculate turkey cooking time and temperature. The simplest way to figure out turkey roasting times is to calculate 13 minutes per pound at 350°F for an unstuffed turkey (that’s about 3 hours for a 12- to 14-lb. turkey), or 15 minutes per pound for a stuffed turkey.
Is it better to cook a turkey at 325 or 350?
Roast the turkey uncovered at a temperature ranging from 325°F to 350°F. Higher temperatures may cause the meat to dry out, but this is preferable to temperatures that are too low which may not allow the interior of the turkey to cook to a safe temperature.
How long do you cook a 14 lb turkey at 350 degrees?
How long to cook the turkey: temperatures and times
- For a 10–13-lb. turkey (weight with giblets): Bake in a 350° oven for 1 1/2–2 1/4 hr.
- For a 14–23-lb. turkey (weight with giblets): Bake in a 325° oven for 2–3 hr.
- For a 24–27-lb. …
- For a 28–30-lb turkey (weight with giblets): Bake in a 325° oven for 3 1/2–4 1/2 hr.
How long does a 14 lb turkey take to cook and how long does it need to rest after cooking?
Ideally, your turkey should rest 30 to 40 minutes to let the juices redistribute. (This gives you enough time to make gravy, too.) We usually recommend that the turkey get back into the refrigerator within 2 hours, so by the time you carve and serve, that timeframe works pretty well.
How long does it take to cook a 14 lb turkey at 375 degrees?
- Preparing the bird – Heat oven to 375 degrees. …
- Cooking the bird – Estimate 12-15 minutes per pound for stuffed turkeys. …
- Testing for doneness – You can either test by checking the temperature or checking the color of the juices. …
- Finishing off – Remove bird from the oven.
How long does a 14 lb turkey take to cook at 325?
For one 12- to 14-pound turkey, roast at 325°F for 3 to 3¾ hours. For one 14- to 18-pound turkey, roast at 325°F for 3¾ to 4¼ hours. For one 18- to 20-pound turkey, roast at 325°F for 4¼ to 4½ hours.
Should you wash your turkey?
First of all, you should not wash or rinse your bird. That may seem counterintuitive, but washing the turkey can spread germs and bacteria all over your kitchen. … Poultry juices can spread in the kitchen and contaminate other foods, utensils, and countertops.”
How long do I cook a 14 lb stuffed turkey?
How Long to Cook a Stuffed Turkey
- For 10- to 12-pound turkey, roast 3¼ hours to 3½ hours.
- For 12- to 14-pound turkey, roast 3½ to 4 hours.
- For 14- to 18-pound turkey, roast 4 to 4¼ hours.
- For 18- to 20-pound turkey, roast 4¼ to 4¾ hours.
- For 20- to 24-pound turkey, roast 4¾ to 5¼ hours.
Should you cook a turkey covered or uncovered?
Q: Should I roast the bird covered or uncovered? A: The Butterball folks recommend cooking the turkey uncovered in a roasting pan. … If you put foil on the breast, remove it about 30-45 minutes before the turkey is done to allow the breast to brown.
How do I keep my turkey moist?
Classic Bread Stuffing Recipe
- Choose a fresh turkey instead of a frozen one. …
- Roast two small turkeys rather than one large one. …
- Brine the turkey. …
- Rub soft butter under the skin. …
- Truss loosely, or not at all. …
- Roast the turkey upside down at first. …
- Don’t overcook it. …
- Let the turkey rest before carving.
How long should a turkey sit out before cooking?
First, Bring Your Bird to Room Temp
Your turkey will cook more evenly and faster if you start it out at room temperature so remove the turkey from the refrigerator 1 hour before roasting.
How long should a turkey sit before carving?
The amount of resting time depends on the size of the bird, but at least 20 minutes is needed. A large bird can wait up to 40 minutes or longer, depending on the temperature of the room.
What temp should a turkey be cooked at?
You’ll need a meat thermometer to make sure you cook your turkey to the right temperature. Insert it close to, but not touching, the thigh bone. If it reads 180 degrees F in the thigh and 170 degrees F in the breast, it’s done and ready to serve.